Growing the community

2 March 2016

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Wednesday 2 March 2016, 9 a.m.

SAGE Garden, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Penny Cook, Martin Gribble, Caroline Power, Sandra Makdessi

Apologies: Geoff Scott, Hughen McConaghy

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Sandra and seconded by Caroline.

Matters arising

  • Stallholder inspections – Affordable Seafood – Kate has spoken to Esme from Affordable Seafood and will do the inspection after the school holidays. In the meantime, Kate will set up a new inspection cycle for every third Wednesday and circulate to stallholders.
    • Kate/Caroline/Stuart
  • E-market pickup/commercialisation – Numbers are increasing slightly – the old maximum is now the new minimum. Discussion about ways forward and it was agreed that Stuart will talk to Jeff Morgan at the Council about assistance, in particular with costings, etc.
    • Stuart
  • Community stall policy – This was agreed to.
  • Buskers – Martin has been speaking to possible candidates. It was agreed that only acoustic playing will be allowed.
    • Martin
  • Dog Policy – After discussion about the difficulty of policing this Kate has agreed to trial a process of talking to any owner whose dog is misbehaving at the markets.
    • Kate
  • Boots for Change – This will be held on 5 April market. Mellissa Marshall will organise the students to do something and Stuart will email Zoe Morgan about her involvement. Stuart and Sandra will invite all the relevant politicians and have posters displayed at SE Harvest.
    • Sandra/Stuart
  • Coin donation apparatus – Stuart has done some research and without someone to organise the box every week it was decided to resurrect a donation box for the SAGE stall.

3. Financial Report

In Geoff’s absence the report was tabled but there was some confusion about the profit/loss figures. Penny will ask Geoff to email the committee with an explanation.

  • Penny

4. Any other business

  • Stuart advised that Council has approved our license for a further five years. Nothing will be signed until other outstanding issues have been decided upon (market fees, etc.)
  • Kate advised she has been approached by the Wagga farmers market people who wish to start an e-market and are interested in a manual.
  • Kate advised of an interview she did with the Financial Review, and Stuart mentioned that he had been asked by Jeff Morgan to make a presentation to Council about the local rural economy. The EIS has been referred to in both these situations and after discussion it was agreed that we need to develop a media strategy and kit. Stuart will look for the SAGE media kit to use as a template.
    • Stuart
  • Sandra has been approached by Anglicare to be part of a project they are conducting in which she will be holding cooking classes for single mothers and older single men at St John’s church. As they will be buying food from the markets she suggested our logo could go on their literature. Kate will canvas the stallholders for donations of any extra food for the project.

Next Meeting: Wednesday 6 April 9 a.m. at the SAGE Garden.

No further business. The meeting closed at 10.30 a.m.

Share this post