Growing the community

5 August 2016

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Friday 5 August 2016, 1 p.m.

Kate’s Place, T*****, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Penny Cook, Geoff Scott, Sandra Makdessi

Apologies: Martin Gribble, Emma Lipscombe

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Geoff.

Matters arising

  • Stallholder inspections – Phil Timms will be inspected next Wednesday.
    • Kate/Stuart
  • E-market – money from Rural Lands Strategy – Nothing further has happened. Stuart will talk to Andrew Greenway before Council goes into caretaker mode.
    • Stuart
  • “Sustainable” movie panel – Kate was part of a panel discussion in Sydney after the movie and spent her time talking from an Australian perspective, in particular about SAGE and the community plus the concept of local farmers markets and provenance.
  • Stall holder survey – Kate and Lexy have met and are fleshing out an initial document which will then go to this committee and the SAGE executive for feedback before being put on the website as an ongoing survey.
    • Kate/Lexy

3. Financial Report

Geoff presented his report noting that an increase in Council fees will increase our costs.

4. Any other business

  • Rural Producers Advisory Committee – Kate and Fraser have applied to be on this committee. However, not enough applications were received so the positions will be advertised again shortly. Kate is trying to recruit one or two more people who might be interested.
  • “delicious” award – no result yet.
  • Deep Winter Agrarian gathering – Stuart advised this was a great weekend with very positive energy. A lot of growers are looking at local markets although some are being locked out of their markets due to saturation of produce. There followed discussion about food boxes subscriptions versus direct selling. Stuart also mentioned a tour by Anthony Flaccavento, an American organic farmer and small business owner from Abingdon, Virginia re food hubs which he and Fraser may be attending in Canberra. Stuart met with the Council tourism people who mentioned a letter drop around Batemans Bay offering vegie boxes from Sydney.
  • Community stall – Kate has been approached by the RSPCA to have a stall at the markets. It was agreed that they be given the go ahead on the basis that the funds they raise stay in the local community.
  • Meeting time – It was agreed that our meeting time from now on will be the last Friday of every month at 12.30pm.
  • Signs north and south of Moruya – Kate showed the committee the preferred size and basic design of the signs which will go on Fraser’s town block facing north and his block at Turlinjah facing south. As well as market information there will be space for other town festivals – Granite Town, River of Art, SE Harvest and the Eurobodalla show. Kate will move the market sign on the bridge to the other end. Stuart will work on the design of the sign.
    • Stuart
  • Food Stories – Stuart met with Council tourism people about this. They are very happy to support it. They will brief the Environment and Sustainability staff as well as other councils. Raymond Hawkins has been contacted by River Cottage who are interested in supporting the tour as well. Stuart will talk to Paul West about them perhaps doing something separate to this tour which will concentrate on a restaurant food experience rather than the “in with your boots and all” aim of this tour.
  • AGM – Stuart will talk to Shirley about the words for the Community/Customer rep on the FM sub-committee.
  • E-market pickup – Sandra is ready to start deliveries and is very keen to have more growers online. She has spoken to Luke who is very positive. There followed discussion about having non-stallholders on the e-market. Kate will canvas stallholders about this. She said many stallholders are hesitant about joining the e-market because of the photo fee of $10. It was agreed that we will carry the cost of the photos from now on and Sandra will use that in her recruiting drive.

Next Meeting: Friday 26 August 12.30 p.m. at venue to be confirmed.

No further business. The meeting closed at 2.30 p.m.

Share this post