Growing the community

5 December 2013

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Thursday 5 December 2013, 10.00 a.m.

Kate’s Place, A******, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Penny Cook, Hughen McConaghy, Isabelle Hennequin, Vivienne Moss, Sandra Makdessi, Caroline Power

Apologies: Geoff Scott, Stuart Whitelaw, Jock Quirk

2. Caroline power – market ideas from the US

Caroline spoke about markets she had visited in the US and noted that we are doing everything right! San Francisco has a really large farmer’s market drawing from a large production area, and Nevada markets, where she originally comes from, is very similar to the Eurobodalla with a number of different areas. In particular, she tabled their Farmers Guide which is produced at the beginning of each year and showcases all the stall holders at each of three markets held regularly throughout the region. Caroline also talked about an excellent food co-op and suggested we visit their website for some ideas – www.briarpatch.coop. She showed us one of their newspapers and a couple of their leaflets about Food Preservation and Beans. There was good discussion about the Farmers Guide and how this could be done to the best advantage for the growers and the sponsors/advertisers. It was agreed that this would be a very useful thing for us to do and Caroline offered to get the thing rolling. We also talked about producing some simple leaflets about different aspects of food growing, etc.

3. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Sandra and seconded by Vivienne.

Matters arising

  • Farm visits – next farm visit will be to Luke’s place. It was agreed that SAGE should pay the car expenses.
    • Kate/Sandra
  • Securing our food future – Kate reported on this meeting saying it was interesting to see how far along the food security road our shire is compared with others, making us very fortunate. Jane Adams from the Farmers Market Association in Melbourne spoke well and said the average market has between 11 and 30 stalls so it seems we are at the top end of the spectrum.
  • Obesity workshop – Stuart will report at the next meeting
    • Stuart
  • E-commerce – Kate advised of our success in securing an $8000 grant from the ANZ and she and Sandra have met with Don (Kate’s web design boss) re the new website design. When Stuart comes home they will have a Skype meeting for further discussions. Fraser is in touch with the ANZ re a photo opportunity about the grant.
    • Kate/Sandra/Stuart
  • Market signage – on hold until we have the new logo.
  • Online advertising – Kate has run some ideas past Bron Carter and is waiting to hear back from her, and the new logo artwork.
  • IMB funding – this wasn’t pursued in light of the ANZ grant but Sandra will have another look.
    • Sandra
  • Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve – we will be holding markets on both these days. With some good advertising we think the Christmas Eve market will do well. Kate will approach the Moruya Pre-school about doing some children’s activities at the markets over the next few weeks. She will also talk to the stall holders about decorations and possible Christmas giveaways for the children.
    • Kate
  • IGA – Penny has given IGA our ABN and a short description of SAGE. They are now waiting on head office to let them know the next step.

4. Financial Report

In Geoff’s absence Kate advised we are approximately $2000 ahead.

5. Any other business

  • Rule changes – Kate tabled the proposed rule changes and the meeting agreed to the changes.
  • River Cottage Australia – Juliet Phillips has contacted Kate asking to come and film the markets on December 17. This was agreed to.
  • Back yard produce – Vivienne expressed great concern at the amount of food which is going to waste in back yards around town. There was discussion about how we might assist these people in selling it. The difficulty is around the agent ruling in the rules and regulations which we all agreed was very important and needs to be retained. This needs further discussion.

Next Meeting – 10am Thursday 9 January at the SAGE block (Kate’s place if raining).

No further business. The meeting closed at 12p.m.

Share this post