Growing the community

6 April 2016

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Wednesday 6 April 2016, 9 a.m.

SAGE Garden, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Penny Cook, Martin Gribble, Caroline Power, Geoff Scott

Apologies: Sandra Makdessi, Hughen McConaghy

2. Correspondence

Kate read a letter received from the Council of continuation of our licence together with their requirements. Further notice will be forthcoming regarding a variation of the fee.

3. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Caroline.

Matters arising

  • Stallholder inspections – Mogendoura Farm will be inspected on 20 April followed by an inspection every three to four weeks until November.
    • Kate/Caroline/Stuart
  • E-market pickup/commercialisation – Kate is working with Bronwyn from Rustic Pantry on a new website. She tabled a proposal about this collaboration. The committee will send their comments to Kate.
  • Community stall policy – Kate saw the need for some further small changes. She will send it to the committee when complete.
    • Kate/Committee
  • Boots for Change – This appears to be in hand. Kate has mentioned it on our Facebook page and she has been talking to Zoe Morgan about the day.
  • Media Strategy – It appears that SAGE doesn’t have one at the moment so Penny will look for the one that was developed when she was secretary.
    • Penny

4. Financial Report

Geoff arrived late but was able to answer questions about the report. We are making a small profit at each market.

5. Any other business

  • Change to special rules for meat producers – It was decided to leave the rules as they are.
  • Stallholder survey – Kate advised she will be doing a survey of the stallholders shortly to see how things are travelling. She asked people to think about areas that may be worth including in the survey.
  • Another stallholder representative – Hughen has indicated he wishes to leave the committee as he is having trouble finding time to commit to it. Kate will send a note around the stallholders asking for expressions of interest.
    • Kate
  • Absences – A number of people will be away during the next couple of months so it was decided not to have a meeting in May. In Geoff’s absence it was suggested that Stuart Scobie may be able to bring the marquee and other gear for the central pickup. Geoff will speak to him.
  • Fee variations – Stuart advised that Council is not interested in sponsoring the backyarders stall. He also mentioned a report which will go to Council next week regarding a proposed donation to SAGE in recognition of our involvement in the Rural Lands study. This is yet to be confirmed. In discussions with Council Kate and Stuart suggested they develop a market policy.
  • University of Canberra study – Kate has received a preliminary report from the university which aligns very closely with the survey we completed. She will send the final draft when it is received.

Next Meeting: Wednesday 1 June at venue to be confirmed.

No further business. The meeting closed at 10.30 a.m.

Share this post