Growing the community

7 August 2015

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Friday 7 August 2015, 1 p.m.

Kate’s Place, T*****, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Martin Gribble, Sandra Makdessi, Penny Cook, Geoff Scott, Hughen McConaghy

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Martin.

Matters arising

  • Stallholder inspections – The next inspection will be Mogendoura Farm.
    • Kate/Sandra
  • Campbell Page – Kate is still waiting to hear back from Sarah about finding someone to run the central pick-up point for the e-market plus someone to work at the SAGE garden. There may be a possibility of a non- for the dole person to do this as well. There followed discussion about how to set up the pick-up point and storage of the cold goods.
  • Economic Impact Survey – Stuart talked about the final assumptions of the SEED program and urged for caution about making these figures public until we have had time to look at them. Kate’s economist friend said they were not hugely robust but paired with the delicious award, they provide a certain amount of credibility. It was agreed that both this and the SAGE committee need to be saying the same thing about the figures. Stuart will forward them to Tim Gilbo (ex World Bank) to assess. Kate will send the results to both committees.
    • Stuart/Kate
  • Cross promotion – Kate has spoken to the stallholders about cross promoting with Southlands.
  • Food hall – Kate spoke about this at the stallholders’ meeting and the gypsy caravan will go on the west of the tree and Kyle on the other side. She will speak to Nick Dibden next week. She also mentioned the idea of moving the stalls back from the path to ease congestion.
    • Kate
  • delicious. award – Great news and an opportunity to capitalise on our double win, and as an authority on farmers markets.

3. Financial Report

Geoff gave the report for the last two months noting that over the twelve month period we have actually made a loss. Stuart advised he has started gathering data from other farmers markets along the coast regarding their costs/takings and stall numbers.

Geoff moved that stallholder fees be increased by $5 per site. Carried.

Kate will advise stallholders and bring the amended Rules and Regs to the next meeting for ratification.

  • Kate

4. Any other business

  • Trip to Daylesford – went really well and Kate and Stuart gathered some good info and met great people. Details can be seen on the Farmers Market blog.
  • Selling produce on SAGE stall – it was agreed that this was OK if the produce has been donated to SAGE and we know where it is grown. Care should be taken not to undercut any other producers with the same produce. Members who wish to sell produce still need to be present to do so.
  • New committee member – Kate will email all members about the position and how they can apply.
    • Kate
  • Stallholder fees – see above in Financial Report.
  • Meeting time – it was agreed to change the meeting time to the first Wednesday of each month at 9am.
  • Kate advised that River Cottage will be coming back in September.
  • Martin requested that stall holders be asked not to smoke at the markets. Kate will follow this up.
    • Kate

Next Meeting: Wednesday 2 September 9.00a.m. at SAGE Garden or Kate’s place, tba.

No further business. The meeting closed at 2.30 p.m.

Share this post