Growing the community

7 October 2015

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Wednesday 7 October 2015, 9 a.m.

SAGE Garden, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Geoff Scott, Martin Gribble, Caroline Power

Apologies: Penny Cook, Sandra Makdessi, Hughen McConaghy, Jenny Bell

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Stuart.

Matters arising

  • Stallholder inspections – Stuart reported on the recent inspection of Michael Hulse’s Deua River Farm. He said that Michael used 1950’s machinery because he could repair it, and he designed new machinery to solve problems. It was like visiting an agriculture research station. Congo Sourdough, Jock and Kath, will be the next stallholder to be visited. Pending confirmation Kate and Caroline will visit on them on Thursday 15 October.
    • Kate/Caroline
  • Campbell Page – Kate is looking for someone with a “Food Safety Certificate” to oversee the e-market pick up point. Campbell Page have not returned her calls or emails so she turned to Gabi Harding at TAFE to find out who to contact there. She is waiting for a reply from Debbie Pakis. Kate recommended that we get started with the e-market pick-up point now before we had a lot more produce and orders in the summer. She said that Rhondda and Hughen could act as Supervisors until a certified Food Safety person could be employed. It was decided that we needed a new marquee with 3 walls, a tarpaulin to be pegged into the ground, and a trestle table. This would be set up behind the SAGE stall and manned by volunteers, Sandra and Caroline, to start with. They will collect the orders from the stallholders before the market opens and deliver them to the new stand, where customers can collect them. Stuart moved and Geoff seconded that the material be purchased and the pick-up centre be established. Carried. It was noted that a job description for the “Pick up Supervisor” needed to be written as well as an outline of the procedures to be followed.
    • Geoff/Kate
  • Expression of Interest to run the market – The EIO which Kate and Stuart prepared has been submitted to Council. But in addition, the GM, Dr. Dale, has requested a letter to her specifically outlining SAGE’s request for variable market rates. The letter will highlight that the Riverside Park is a venue and therefore has peak and off peak times; Tuesday afternoon is off-peak. In order to have a local, authentic Farmers Market, SAGE cannot multiply the number of stallholders indefinitely, and therefore pay Council’s fees. The Farmers Market promote local business and employment in the Shire and the Council should support these efforts to create local jobs and business. The Tuesday Market attracts people to the town who would otherwise not be there and our surveys show that they also spend a significant amount at shops in town on market day.
  • EIS-Economic Impact Study – It was decided that in reporting the findings of the survey we should de-emphasise the effects of the multiplier and simply state the outcomes: the number of people who come especially to the markets, how much money they spend, and how much money they spend in the town the same day. Kate and Stuart to finish up the letter to Dr. Dale including these points in time to be part of the EIO procedure.
    • Stuart/Kate
  • FM Newsletter – Caroline asked that discussion of this item be postponed to the next meeting because she hasn’t had time to think about it in detail and she wanted to talk to Penny Cook, who has been away, about it.
  • Customer relations – postponed.
  • Bad weather plan discussed with Wayne Hutton – Stuart had emailed the plan to committee members that had been agreed upon. He described it at the meeting. The bitumen roadway would be cut off half way down; customers would be able to park up to the road block. Beyond the block, stallholders would be able to set up on the grass next to the road way and peg in their stalls. There are power outlets for the fish and meat stallholders. It was agreed that we needed approval of this plan in writing from Wayne Hutton. Stuart will send him an email asking for written confirmation.
    • Stuart

3. Financial Report

Geoff gave the Financial Report, to be emailed to committee members.

4. Any other business

  • Boots for Change – Boots for Change is an initiative by High School students who want to draw attention to the future of kids on farms, children being able to stay on the family farm. They have received a grant and Moruya Markets will be the site of pilot programs on 27 Oct. Mellissa Marshall from the High School is promoting the idea with her students, hatching chickens, graphics including “cows mean jobs”, a photo competition of children in boots, and a “flash mob dance by zombie scare crows”.
    • Stuart/Sandra
  • Moruya Magazine – Kate was approached for an ad in the magazine. It seemed very expensive even for a small ad. We have no money and nothing to spend on promotion/adverts. Caroline moved and Stuart seconded that we will not take an ad in the magazine. Kate will email thanks but no thanks, no money.
    • Kate

Next Meeting: Wednesday 4 November 9.00a.m. at SAGE Garden.

No further business. The meeting closed at 10.00 a.m.

Share this post



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *