Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting
Wednesday 2 September 2015, 9 a.m.
SAGE Garden, Moruya
Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Penny Cook, Geoff Scott, Hughen McConaghy, Jenny Bell, Caroline Power
Apologies: Martin Gribble, Sandra Makdessi
2. Minutes of previous meeting
Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Geoff.
- Stallholder inspections – Kate explained this process to our new committee members and advised that Michael Hulse is next on the list.
- Campbell Page – Kate advised no further progress. She also advised she has spoken to Southern Phone about bulk ordering on the e-market and there are six possible takers at the moment. Carolyn suggested the TAFE might also be interested in this.
- Economic Impact Survey – Stuart did an update of the survey for Jenny and Caroline. He has asked Council if they have any similar stats, or staff members who might have any information. The problem seems to be around the multiplier used by SEED and the fact that Council has difficulty understanding any economic impact if the money doesn’t come from outside the shire as tourist income.
- Stallholder fees – changes to Rules and Regs – Kate has advised all the stallholders of the pending increase in fees of $5 per stall and made the required change to the rules and regulations. The committee formally accepted the change.
3. Financial Report
Geoff spoke to his report which will be sent to the committee with the minutes. There was discussion about the large amount of money that we are required to pay to Council each month.
4. Any other business
- Roles and responsibilities – Stuart welcomed Jenny and Caroline to the committee and it was agreed that Caroline will pursue the possibility of a FM newsletter/handout. This could be difficult given the changing nature of stallholders and their produce. Jenny will concentrate on things from a customer’s perspective (e.g. improvements, complaints, etc.) and discussion followed about the importance of keeping our customers happy.
- Market expression of interest – Stuart explained the process around Crown Lands and that we are required to submit an expression of interest for the markets. He and Kate are working on that submission at present. There are a few other organisations looking at submitting for the Saturday markets.
- Market cancellation – Stuart explained the details of what happened last week when the Council closed the park and we had to cancel the markets. He apologised to Hughen who pointed out the difficulty this presented for sellers of perishables and asked that, as a stallholder representative on the committee, he be consulted early in future. Kate agreed that, in future, this sort of decision needs to be made no later than the Monday, so everyone concerned has ample time to change their arrangements, and she has time to better manage the situation. There followed discussion about the need for a set process/policy in such circumstances and also thoughts about alternative venues. Stuart and Kate will be meeting with Wayne Hutton from the Council this afternoon to discuss the details and possibilities. They will email the committee the outcomes of that meeting so a way forward can be agreed upon.
- Kate mentioned that, in their absence, Hughen and Martin were voted back onto the committee at the AGM.
Next Meeting: Wednesday 7 October 9.00a.m. at SAGE Garden.
No further business. The meeting closed at 10.30 a.m.