4 December 2014

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Thursday 4 December 2014, 9 a.m.

SAGE Garden, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Penny Cook, Hughen McConaghy, Martin Gribble, Sandra Makdessi, Geoff Scott

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Sandra.

Matters arising

  • DL flyer – there was discussion about whether to include the e-commerce on the flyer which would mean a delay until after Christmas. It was decided to produce 1000 before Christmas then add the e-commerce info when it goes public.
    • Kate
  • Letter to council re pavilion – Stuart will draft a letter for Kate to send.
    • Stuart/Kate
  • Congestion around fish stall – after discussion it was decided that Kate will talk to them about making the stall one-sided (facing the car park) which should take the congestion away from the main path.
    • Kate
  • Christmas market – Stuart will be Santa again this year and Penny will be the elf. Martin will supply a wheelbarrow and paper bags and we will fill them with biscuits (Isabelle), blueberries, dehydrated fruit (Martin) and anything else that is donated by stallholders.
    • Everyone
  • Identification of primary and secondary/tertiary producers – Kate explained past discussions to Geoff. She will contact Barrabaroo to see what their plans are.
    • Kate
  • Stuart moved that the previous motion regarding costs for temporary stallholders be rescinded and the matter be given further deliberation. Seconded Sandra. Carried.

3. Financial Report

Geoff presented a partial report – see attached.

Kate talked about advertising on Power FM and whether it was worth spending the money. She will talk to 2EC for a cost comparison and a decision will be made via email.

  • Kate

Stuart also mentioned the idea of cross advertising with Southlands.

Kate requested a $1000 advance on grant monies for the e-commerce work. This was agreed to unanimously.

4. Any other business

  • E-commerce – Kate advised she has conducted two training sessions with stallholders and council staff will be included in the trial for the next three weeks. There followed discussion about the product and the need for more documentation to support it, plus rules for producers. It was thought a 5% surcharge for producers might be a starting point. It was also agreed that only those stallholders who come to the Tuesday markets will be offered online sales at this stage. Stuart advised that he has been co-opted onto the board of the Australian Farmers Market Association (AFMA) and Jane Adams agreed that this product will be something all farmers markets will be interested in – important IP for us to sell. After discussion about possible legal issues Stuart agreed to talk to Jane Adams, Michele Carnegie and Sarah Cooper about our legal position.
    • Kate/Stuart
  • Monthly iMag – Martin to organise an ad for the markets.
    • Martin
  • Affordable Seafood – in response to Esmay’s email the committee revisited the rules and regulations about prawn supply and found her claim was within these boundaries. Kate will talk to her about the need to guarantee supply before approaching Narooma Seafood Direct.
    • Kate
  • Inspection of stallholder premises/businesses – it was agreed to allow initial self-certification until there is time to conduct an inspection. This will allow Kate to put most stallholders on the website.
    • Kate

Next Meeting – 8 January at a time to be determined at SAGE Garden.

No further business. The meeting closed at 10.30 a.m.