4 September 2014

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Thursday 4 September 2014, 10.00 a.m.

Kate’s Place, C*******, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Sandra Makdessi, Stuart Whitelaw, Penny Cook, Hughen McConaghy, Geoff Scott

Apologies: Isabelle Hennequin

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Sandra and seconded by Stuart.

Matters arising

  • Farm visits – nothing since the last visit. It was decided to visit Kevin McCash and then have a break until after Christmas.
    • Kate/Sandra
  • Meeting with Cath Reilly re bundling – Penny will contact Cath to arrange a further meeting.
    • Penny
  • Stallholders meeting – it was agreed to wait until daylight saving to have a meeting with stallholders to discuss the issue of starting early.
  • Market bags – Kate and Stuart met with the Evolve people. They have agreed to take on the bag selling and Kate has supplied them with a design.
  • Supply Chain funding – Stuart advised that a proposal has been prepared for funding to implement the e-commerce (i.e. training growers on how to use the service, etc.) including administration and a professional photographer. A second proposal, in collaboration with SCPA and the South Coast Food Distribution Network for workshops and training seems to have fallen over at this stage.
  • Bumper stickers – no progress.
  • Relationships with other organisations – Kate has spoken to Jane Adams of AFMA about the various states and their part in this association. She agrees with Jane that we should be a player in the setting up of the NSW accreditation process. Kate has nominated to be on the board of AFMA.
  • E-commerce – Kate is now focusing on the front page and static things like photos, etc.
    • Kate
  • SEED survey – Helen Coreau is entering data into a spread sheet and when she has completed that Penny will enter this first lot into the SEED program to see if it produces anything meaningful. The next survey will be held on Tuesday 14 October. Penny will alert the volunteers shortly.
    • Penny

3. Financial Report

Geoff presented the financial report for the period from the AGM – see attached.

Geoff Scott moved that we pay an extra $1000 per year to Kate as coordinator of the markets. Seconded Stuart Whitelaw. Carried.

There was discussion about the money that has been donated for Christine Whitelaw and the possibility of using it to further the awareness campaign of the plight of the pied oystercatchers. Stuart will talk to Toby about this.

4. Any other business

  • Visits to other markets – it was decided to leave Kangaroo Valley for a while to give them time to become more established. Kiama would be a good market to have a look at. It is on Wednesday afternoons at 3 pm. Nothing arranged at this stage.
  • Hughen raised the idea of an information flyer again. Penny will talk to Caroline Power about the newsletter idea she brought back from the states.

Next Meeting – 2 October at 10 a.m. venue tba depending on the weather.

No further business. The meeting closed at 11.30 a.m.