5 September 2013

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Thursday 5 September 2013, 10.00 a.m.

Penny’s home, A******, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Geoff Scott, Sandra Makdessi, Hughen McConaghy, Penny Cook

Apologies: Stuart Whitelaw, Isabelle Hennequin, Jock Quirk

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Geoff and seconded by Kate.

Matters arising

  • Farm visits – the next visit will be to Luke Hemler’s place by Kate and Sandra – date to be confirmed.
    • Kate/Sandra
  • Meeting with General Manager – Penny read the letter from the GM and it was decided to hold this matter over until the next meeting.
  • Chicken Tandoor and satays/ chocolate sellers – ongoing.
    • Kate
  • DL flyer – Kate and Sandra are still working on this.
    • It was agreed we should accept the quote from Ezyprint in Moruya.
  • E-commerce forum – Kate spoke to her summary that had been sent to the committee previously. She is presently writing a set of rules and regulations. There was discussion about various aspects of the process including having a closed trial during November and then a pilot trial in January. It was agreed to hold another meeting in two weeks’ time to discuss the details further. In the meantime Kate will start developing a list of potential customers.
    • Kate/committee
  • Market signage – ongoing.
    • Stuart
  • School newsletter – ongoing.
    • Sandra

3. Any other business

  • Media strategy – Penny recommended development of a media strategy in light of the recent comment made by Councillor Leslight during an interview Stuart was doing on ABC radio. It was agreed that a list of Frequently Asked Questions would be useful. Penny will ask the SAGE executive and the FM committee to submit any questions they think relevant.
    • Penny
  • Non-commercial rules and regulations – Kate tabled these. There followed discussion about timing and Kate agreed to add a clause re the booking deadline. Penny moved that the rules and regulations with the additional booking deadline clause be adopted. Seconded Sandra. Carried.
    • Kate
  • Further to non-commercial selling from the SAGE stall it was agreed to buy two new folding trestle tables which will be stored in the SAGE shed when not being used.
    • Sandra will make the purchase when she is next in Batemans Bay.
  • Changes to stall holder rules re non-local ingredients were agreed to.
    • Stuart
  • Assistant treasurer in Geoff’s absence – Kate will organise the letter to the Shire re the markets and Stuart will have the cheque book.
    • Kate/Stuart
  • Compliance with the Food Act – Kate summarised her understanding of the Act and advised that Mathew Granderton (Council Food Survey Officer) will be talking to all stall holders at the markets next Tuesday about the requirements.
    • Kate will contact him regarding any intention to charge for this time.
  • Kate raised the issue of OH&S at the markets. There was discussion about untagged plugs and uncovered leads.
    • Kate will check these.
  • Kyle had asked if he could sell ‘keep cups’ – committee does not agree to this.
    • Kate
  • Kate advised that Symphony Farm are selling eucalyptus oil products. Discussion re this not being a food. It was agreed the rules and regulations should be changed to exclude the words ‘food only’ in Clause 5.
    • Kate
  • Committee profiles for website – Kate asked those members who haven’t already done so to forward their profiles to her asap.

Next Meeting – 10am Thursday September 19 at Penny Cook’s.

No further business. The meeting closed at 11.30a.m.