6 March 2014

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Thursday 6 March 2014, 10.00 a.m.

SAGE Garden, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Vivienne Moss, Sandra Makdessi, Stuart Whitelaw, Geoff Scott, Penny Cook, Hughen McConaghy

Apologies: Isabelle Hennequin

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Stuart and seconded by Kate.

Matters arising

  • Farm visits – next on the list is Isabelle and then Sandra at Bodalla Milk.
    • Kate/Sandra
  • Graphic Design brief – Amanda Klekner of Poppin Designs has been awarded the brief and she will be meeting with Kate, Stuart, Fraser, Sandra and Catherine next Thursday. The design should be ready by early April. Then we can proceed with the e-commerce and the new SAGE website.
    • Kate/Stuart/Fraser/Catherine
  • Request to sell pot plants – this was discussed at the stall holders’ meeting and was approved. Kate presented fresh wording to the rules to cover this. The meeting approved the addition to the rules.
  • Meeting with GM – Stuart reported the following:
    • The GM was very supportive of a time-based site fee and this will be taken to council for resolution.
    • Discussion about the money generated from the markets to be used for sustainable services; however, money from Crown Land is to be used only for Crown Land. The CFO suggested a yearly donation to the markets. Council to deliberate this.
    • There was strong agreement for a closer partnership between the markets and Council.
    • A suggestion for more signage at both ends of the town and in Riverside Park was positively received.
    • Council was very interested in the e-commerce venture and offered possible assistance in further development past the present project.
  • River Cottage – they will be at the markets on 29 April for a free cooking demonstration using market produce.
  • E-commerce – the logo design is underway and it was agreed that the ‘Nuts and Bolts’ committee should meet in the third week of each month from now on. Kate will email those in the group. Kate also mentioned a conversation she had had with Inky Smudge re IP and is waiting on something in writing from them. It does not appear to be a problem.
    • Kate

3. Financial Report

See attached.

4. Any other business

  • SEED survey – Penny advised that a count at a previous market came to 606 people which calls for a sample of 235 people to be surveyed each time. It was agreed that this was not doable, and in the meantime Fraser was liaising with a statistician friend who may be able to suggest a smaller number of people. Penny will email the SEED people for any information on smaller numbers.
    • Penny
  • Delicious competition – after a few further suggestions Stuart will complete the application form and send it to Kate to submit.
    • Stuart/Kate
  • Outcomes of stall holders’ meeting:
    • It was agreed that pot plants could be sold at the markets under the additional rules agreed to by this committee.
    • Discussion about various advertising ideas – development of a flyer for B&Bs, motels, etc.
    • Discussion about changing the opening time to 4pm to accommodate business people. A flyer will be developed specifically for this audience but there will be no change to the opening time, particularly at this time of year. Hughen will liaise with Zoe and the council about a message on their PA system each Tuesday.
    • All the stall holders agreed that the social cohesion was good and there should be regular get-togethers to maintain this.
  • Business development/jobs in the sector – Sarah Cooper at council is very keen to assist the markets so it was agreed that a marketing workshop for stall holders would be beneficial. Kate will liaise with Sarah re a workshop by Rob Fenton from Albury.
  • Pavilion at Riverside Park – Stuart advised that this will be taken to the next council meeting with a recommendation for the eastern site.
  • Market licence – Stuart to contact Rob Addison about renewal of this.

Next Meeting – 10am Thursday 3 April at the SAGE Garden (Kate’s place if raining).

No further business. The meeting closed at 12 p.m.