7 November 2013

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Monday 7 November 2013, 10.00 a.m.

SAGE Block, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Penny Cook, Geoff Scott, Hughen McConaghy, Stuart Whitelaw, Isabelle Hennequin, Jock Quirk, Vivienne Moss

Apologies: Sandra Makdessi

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Penny.

Matters arising

  • Farm visits – Kate and Sandra have visited Tilba Milk which was very impressive and will be organising to see Bodalla Dairy next. In the meantime Kate is putting ‘uninspected’ drafts of all the producers on the website.
    • Kate/Sandra
  • Meeting with GM – Stuart explained what happened at the meeting re the market license. He also advised the committee of a meeting to be held on Friday week regarding ‘Securing our Food Future’ which the Shire is hosting and which Stuart, Kate and Fraser will be attending. There is also an Obesity Workshop to be held next Wednesday which Stuart will attend. Messages he will take include the importance of access to farmers by the buying public and the effect of monopolies on local food security.
    • Stuart
  • E-commerce forum – Kate advised she has arranged hosting for the website and, when time permits, is building a trial version to give us an idea of how the site may work. We are expecting a decision on the grant application soon, which should speed up progress. Discussion followed regarding details of how we might proceed and it was agreed to do a dummy run as soon as things are set up with a couple of stall holders and a handful of SAGE committee members as customers.
    • Kate
  • Market signage – Stuart talked about what we need on the signs – ethics of what the market is all about, etc. Cloth signs on the tree guards will be the best way to do this but we are awaiting the new badging before we go ahead. He will email some suggested words to the committee for comment.
    • Stuart
  • Online advertising – Kate suggested we could sell small bits of space on the website and it was agreed that she talk to Bron Carter re trialling this.
    • Kate
  • Compliance with Food Act – Kate advised that Mat has stated that all food stall holders need to have three walls and a floor. The messages seem to be quite inconsistent. Kate is to follow this up with Mat and advise stall holders when the requirements have been made clear.
    • Kate
  • Caroline Power – she has withdrawn her request to join the committee. It was agreed that we should invite her to come and talk about some of the ideas she has seen in the US.
    • Penny
  • IMB funding – Kate advised that the criteria for this funding suit the markets really well and will keep an eye out for it.
    • Kate

3. Treasurer’s Report

Geoff gave his report advising that the markets have made a profit of $1951.98 since their inception.

4. Any other business

  • Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve – Isabel advised that the Saturday markets always hold a session on Christmas Eve. Kate to talk to Rob Addison about this as we wish to have markets on the same day. Discussion re Santa Claus and presents. Kate will speak to stall holders re contributions for presents and Isabel will bring in a Christmas tree for the children to decorate.

    Markets will go ahead as usual on New Year’s Eve.

  • IGA – Kate has spoken to the IGA manager re local growers. They are very happy to take any local produce as long as they have sufficient notice. They will identify produce as local and will pay slightly more than the Sydney market prices. Kate will advise stall holders.
    • Kate
  • KeepCup – Kate read a letter received from Kyle Levier requesting he be allowed to sell a ‘KeepCup’ with his coffee. After discussion this was supported but Kate was asked to speak to Stuart Scobie before we give Kyle the go-ahead. It was agreed that Kyle should not be making a profit on the cups he sells. Kate will include a new rule to say re-usable containers of any kind are to be sold at cost.
  • Change to application form – this is to include the seasons and was agreed to by the committee.
  • Vivienne Moss has made a request to join the committee. This was agreed to.
  • Our Shared Table – Stuart advised that we raised $225 from this event and the money will go to the cost of education for a year for a teenage girl in Uganda.

Next Meeting – 10am Thursday 5 November at the SAGE block (Kate’s place if raining).

No further business. The meeting closed at 11.45p.m.