Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting
Friday 8 May 2015, 1 p.m.
SAGE Garden, Moruya
Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Sandra Makdessi, Hughen McConaghy
Apologies: Penny Cook, Geoff Scott, Martin Gribble
2. Minutes of previous meeting
Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Hughen.
- Moruya Market Day – The Chairperson of the Moruya Business Chamber, Steve Picton attended the first part of the meeting to present this proposal. This project is part of the Chamber’s ‘buy local’ initiative, and only Chamber members are eligible to take part. There will be a 3 month trial. The major chains (eg Woolworths, IGA, Reject Shop) are not members of the Chamber. Steve showed the market day graphic that has been adopted. It was agreed that a sign or blackboard could be placed in a prominent position during the market which would inform customers of activities and promotions on the following week. Steve said that the shopkeepers were more interested in promotional activities rather than discounting. Given the charter of SAGE and the farmers markets, it was agreed that advertising of specific products at the markets would be difficult. The principle of encouraging market customers to shop in the main street was agreed.
- Media Strategy – A framework for future blog posts is being structured by Kate and Sandra. Kate will work on an outline document to serve as a reference to keep this work on track and focussed on the aims discussed.
- Stallholder Inspections – Kate and Stuart inspected Barrabarroo Meats. Old Mill Road BioFarm is next on 20 May.
- Ulladulla Farmers Market – Kate and Stuart attended the inaugural meeting of stallholders interested in being a part of this new market. The market organisers expressed thanks for the input from SAGE and were keen to adopt similar market rules. The market would operate on Thursday afternoon in front of the Ulladulla civic centre.
3. Financial Report
4. Any other business
- SFMM has been approached by FRRR regarding possible further funding. The final report and acquittal of the previous grant is being completed. The areas suggested for funding include the aggregation of orders for e-market customers.
- Donation Boxes. It was agreed that Stuart order up to 5 perspex donation boxes for the market. They would be placed at the SAGE stall as well as selected stallholders, asking for a gold coin donation per week.
- Evolve have requested to list their hemp bags on the e-market. It was agreed that this would be permitted. The same 5% commission on sales will apply.
- The draft rules etc for e-market producers (previously circulated) were briefly discussed. Kate will distribute the drafts to the relevant producers to give them the opportunity to comment.
- A request from a Tumut apple grower to sell apple juice was discussed. It was clarified that juice is considered a secondary product and therefore would be eligible to sell at the market, however, as the producer’s business is located outside the local region, they are not eligible to sell the juice. Kate to respond.
Next Meeting: Friday 12 June 2.30 p.m. at venue tba.
No further business. The meeting closed at 2.30 p.m.