9 January 2014

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Thursday 9 January 2014, 5.30 p.m.

SAGE Garden, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Penny Cook, Hughen McConaghy, Vivienne Moss, Sandra Makdessi, Stuart Whitelaw, Geoff Scott, Michele Carnegie

Apologies: Isabelle Hennequin

Kate advised that Jock Quirk has resigned from the committee due to other commitments.

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Hughen.

Matters arising

  • Farm visits – Kate and Sandra will be visiting Luke Hemler’s property next week.
    • Kate/Sandra
  • Obesity workshop – Stuart reported on this meeting and the various strategies that were discussed. The Deputy Mayor has proposed the banning of all soft drinks from Council venues and events.
  • IMB funding – Stuart and Michele will work together on this tender for a toilet. This matter will be dealt with by the SAGE executive.
    • Stuart/Michele
  • Online advertising – Kate has not heard back from Bronwyn.

3. Financial Report

Geoff gave a full report of the year’s finances (attached) advising the creation of a separate farmer’s market account particularly to keep track of the grant money we have received for the e-commerce project. He advised that the first market this year was the best we have had so far.

4. Any other business

  • Rule changes – The committee formally adopted the rule changes which were proposed at the previous meeting.
  • Hughen led a discussion about the problem of producers advising they would be at the markets and then not turning up. This creates gaps in prime positions. Discussion about how to deal with this problem. Kate will give it some thought.
    • Kate
  • Hughen also discussed market sustainability particularly in relation to paying Kate a reasonable amount of money. Discussion followed regarding a number of options and members were asked to give this some thought and continue the discussion at the next meeting.
  • Penny flagged the increase in workload on the SAGE stall with more produce coming from Kyle. She will keep an eye on this and bring in more volunteers when necessary.
  • E-commerce – Kate advised her progress on the dummy website. Don and Russell (Inky Smudge) will be designing it but need a logo to start with.
  • It was agreed that Sandra, Kate, Stuart and Fraser will work on a brief for expressions of interest for the logo with a selection to be made by the end of January.
    • Sandra/Kate/Stuart/Fraser
  • There followed discussion about the following points:
    • Nuts and bolts of the administration side of things. A sub-committee will be formed to deal with this – Kate, Hughen, Penny, Vivienne and Michele. Tim Saffery and Fraser also to be invited.
    • Michele highlighted the importance of the sustainability of the project which could lead to further funding, e.g. possible instruction manual for other groups, and/or a blank server which could be cloned. She also advised keeping good records of in-kind contributions for the final acquittal.
    • Inky Smudge IP – Kate will discuss this with Don but it was thought that since we will be paying for their service/product there should not be a problem in the future.
    • Spreading our umbrella further afield to include other regions. It was agreed that we should concentrate on local matters first.
  • Stuart advised the meeting of his success with 666 and their request for a market update each fortnight.
  • Vivienne noted a request from Helen and Dave to sell their flower pot plants at the markets. After discussion it was decided to hold over a decision on this matter until the next meeting.

Next Meeting – 10am Thursday 9 February at the SAGE Garden (Kate’s place if raining).

No further business. The meeting closed at 7.30 p.m.