9 March 2015

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Monday 9 March 2015, 1 p.m.

SAGE Garden, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Penny Cook, Geoff Scott, Hughen McConaghy, Martin Gribble

Apologies: Sandra Makdessi, Isabelle Hennequin

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Geoff.

Matters arising

  • E-commerce – Kate tabled the results of the first five weeks of trading noting how disappointing they were. She will organise a survey to go out to those people on the e-commerce list for feedback. Other points discussed included:
    • the need to expand our client base – Southern Phone, Council, flyers to shops
    • the lack of producers selling online
    • the effects of summer (people growing their own) –v– winter (not growing so much)
    • the possibility of inviting non-stallholders to participate
    • Tina Smith’s group coordinating collection and distribution of goods at the McKay Centre. Kate will ask her to put forward a proposal
    • the need for more advertising (radio, print, etc.) – see more later. Kate advised she is still waiting for the graphics for the producers’ signs.

3. Financial Report

Geoff presented the financial report which was accepted by Hughen and seconded by Stuart. See attached.

4. Any other business

  • Fish rules and attendance at market rules – Kate advised that both Hayley and Esmay have no objections to the new fish ruling. Discussion about the advantage of having fish online but Narooma are not interested. The committee formally adopted the changes to the rules. Kate will send them around for final editing before presenting them to the producers for comment.
    • Kate
  • In the interest and need for more revenue raising it was also agreed that donation boxes be installed at the entrances to the markets. Something fun was suggested by Hughen. Stuart will progress this.
    • Stuart
  • delicious advertising – this is too expensive for us with not much return. Kate suggested passing it on to the tourism people who may be interested. Stuart advised that the Chamber of Commerce is interested in pursuing the idea of ‘Market Tuesday’ in Moruya to involve the whole town.
    • Kate
  • ‘Put-aways’ at market – Kate explained the problem that this has become with people becoming angry when seeing others seemingly buying before 3 pm. Discussion followed about crowd control possibilities and it was agreed to take it back to the stallholders at a meeting on 17 March at 5.30. Kate will compile a short document based on FAQs, particularly explaining the reasons for the 3 pm start.
    • Kate
  • Advertising/promotion – see media strategy below.
  • e-Market producer rules and regulations – see above re fish and attendance rules.
  • Media strategy – various ideas were floated including radio, print and the need to specifically target different demographics, but it was agreed that a separate meeting should be convened especially in light of Sandra’s absence. Penny will organise.
    • Penny
  • Next EI survey in Penny’s absence – Stuart agreed to organise this.
    • Penny/Stuart
  • Survey by Bethany Turner (UC) – Bethany’s research assistant, Emma Pocock, was at the markets last week and spoke to a number of producers and buyers. She will be coming again soon but in the meantime will be conducting an online survey which Kate will be promoting with SAGE members and the local press.
    • Kate

Next Meeting: Friday 10 April and in Penny’s absence for April and May, Stuart will record the minutes.

No further business. The meeting closed at 2.30 p.m.