9 October 2014

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Thursday 9 October 2014, 10.30 a.m.

SAGE Garden, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Penny Cook, Hughen McConaghy, Isabelle Hennequin, Martin Gribble

Apologies: Geoff Scott, Sandra Makdessi

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Kate and seconded by Stuart.

Matters arising

  • Meeting with Cath Reilly re bundling – Stuart outlined the content of the meeting which confirmed that SAGE is on the right track with the education program and the importance of advertising courses around the region in accommodation and tourist haunts. Kate suggested that SAGE could become a tourist operator which would mean the courses could be put on the tourism website. Stuart will take this suggestion to the next SAGE meeting.
    • Stuart
  • Stallholders meeting – this will be held after the markets on 28 October at 5.30 pm. Kate will advise stallholders.
    • Kate
  • Bumper stickers – Kate will progress this and they will be offered for a gold coin donation.
    • Kate
  • Information flyer – Kate will write some words for the two-sided flyer and organise Helen to take some photos. It was agreed to order 5000.
    • Kate
  • AFMA board – Kate advised she was not accepted onto the board.

3. Financial Report

As read in Geoff’s absence.

4. Any other business

  • Policy re proportion of primary, secondary and tertiary stallholders – it was agreed that we should maintain at least half of the stallholders as primary producers. With producers coming and going there will need to be some leeway according to Kate’s judgment at the time.
  • DL flyer for the next holiday season – Kate and Stuart will do a brief for the designer and incorporate some words that Kate has written. Kate will also brief photographer Helen Oakey about specific format shots needed for the brochure. We will obtain quotes and circulate.
  • Economic impact survey – Penny presented the report generated from SEED which showed amazing results only after one survey. Kate needs to tweak some of the original info which might make a difference. It was decided to continue entering the data from each survey into SEED plus continuing the Excel spreadsheet.
    • Penny
  • E-commerce grant – after discussion about what needs to be done it was agreed to accept the grant.
    • Stuart/Kate
  • Proposed siting for pavilion at Riverside Park – Stuart advised that council is only interested in one option – that being on the amphitheatre site. It was agreed to conduct a survey of the stallholders and submit this to the council in the hope of changing their minds.
    • Stuart/Kate
  • Hughen raised a request from Zoe for Shane Davidson to set up a community activity trailer on the western grass area on Tuesdays for activities for children during the markets. This was agreed to on the proviso that Shane clears it with Rob Addison (re insurance, etc.)
  • Isabelle raised the idea of setting up some tables and chairs in an area near the tree. Kate can juggle stall holders to accommodate this.
  • Stuart advised of a communication from the Food Authority regarding egg stamping. Producers of less than 1000 eggs per day will be able to apply for a stamper from the authority.

Next Meeting – 6 November at 12 p.m. at SAGE Garden.

No further business. The meeting closed at 12 p.m.