Growing the community

3 February 2016

Minutes of Farmers Market Committee Meeting

Wednesday 3 February 2016, 9 a.m.

SAGE Garden, Moruya

1. Attendance/apologies

Present: Kate Raymond, Stuart Whitelaw, Penny Cook, Martin Gribble, Caroline Power, Sandra Makdessi

Apologies: Geoff Scott, Hughen McConaghy

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes were accepted by Sandra and seconded by Caroline.

Matters arising

  • Stallholder inspections – Affordable Seafood – Kate has sighted the catch log for their 2 boats which are in order. Kate will arrange with Esme to do the next inspection there. There followed discussion re geographic origins of prawns sold at the markets. Stuart will talk to Fisheries about the inspections of fish sellers.
    • Kate/Stuart
  • E-market pickup/commercialisation – Penny raised the need for some sort of roster and the difficulty around having someone take it on as a business was discussed. Rather than calling for SAGE members to volunteer it was agreed to approach some people who may be interested in sharing the workload. Caroline agreed to be the “team leader/trainer” and she will talk to a few people about joining the group. There was discussion about the long-term viability of the central pickup as well as the difficulty in getting producers to join the e-market. It was agreed to reassess the central pickup at the end of the financial year.
    • Caroline
  • Community stall policy – In progress.
    • Kate
  • Buskers – Martin will follow this up.
    • Martin

3. Financial Report

As tabled.

4. Any other business

  • Plastic Bags – It was agreed to organise the bag bank for next week. Stuart will make a sign to fit on an old camping chair he has. Kate will advertise for bags online.
    • Stuart/Kate
  • Dog policy – Kate is receiving an increasing number of complaints about dogs at the market. She has agreed to talk to the Shire about any rules they may have in place around health and food selling requirements. She will email the committee with the results of those discussions and a decision will be made.
    • Kate
  • Rustic Pantry – Kate has had discussions with Bronwyn and Phil re the possibility of some sort of collaboration between the markets and the Rustic Pantry – possibly both e-markets working together. She is preparing a proposal to redo their website and discussion followed about similar relationships with other businesses in town (e.g. Southlands). The committee is interested but will talk further when Rustic Pantry’s new website is up and running.
    • Kate
  • Boots for Change – This will be during the month of April. Sandra and Stuart will talk to Melissa, Zoe and Kyle about plans for the event at the markets.
    • Stuart/Sandra
  • Early start for people with disability – Kate has been approached to have an early start for those people with a disability. This was not agreed to.
  • Coin donation apparatus – Stuart will work up a design for this.
    • Stuart

Next Meeting: Wednesday 2 March 9 a.m. at the SAGE Garden.

No further business. The meeting closed at 10.30 a.m.

Share this post